Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Gallery Girls: Super Girl + Wonder Woman

Finally went to the late night drawing salon downtown. It was a pretty good set up but a bit too late for me (10-1), I was starting to get pretty sleepy by the end. One thing that I think helped me stay awake as long as I did though was an awesome "mini" burger and fries for only $5, it was a full meal for me.
I might go again if there's another awesome theme but I just found it a bit slow for my taste. 25 min poses with about 5 min breaks in between, just doesn't allow for much variation, luckily there were two models. You could move around but its a bit packed and I don't like getting in the way. I would recommend getting there early to grab a good spot/table. Oh and it's a suggested $10 donation, which is a great price for what you're getting. And everyone there was really nice and supportive, I probably met more people the first time there than at any other drawing sessions. I'm super shy :]

7 comments:

Sandra Lucia said...

These are lovely!

The Ivanator said...

you? shy? pleeeaasseee :D

Pablo said...

Inspirational work Kendra. Great drawings. I'm with you 25 min poses are a tad to long for me. I prefer the spontaneity of quick 5 min. poses. What med. are you using to color your sketches? Marker.colored pencil?

C.Deboda said...

These look great, as usual! Love the "Zoo day" sketches from earlier too. And yeah, for some odd reason, I never took you as being "super shy"...unless you're just messing with your blog audience huh. Yeah, that's gotta be it. ;)

Kendra Melton said...

Thanks Sandra! its been forever hope all is well in Miami :]

Ivan: I'm TOTALLY shy when I first meet people. Unless I go with a friend, friends tend to bring me out of my shell quicker in social settings. And some people I warm up to faster than others. But I don't do well in crowds, you'll notice I tend to stay in corners and observe... and disappear into my sketchbook - it's my safety blanket haha. Or if I get nervous I'll start talking really fast and inside my brain I'm just like "Shut up you're rambling, calm down and let the other person speak." I think I'm getting better though thanks to LA. There are so many things going on and it's forcing me to interact with the world.

Thanks Pablo! These were black ballpoint, marker, and finished with my pentel brush pen to save the drawings haha.

Thanks Chris! I'll be going back to the zoo tomorrow hopefully so come back in a couple days for something new :P I'm totally shy when I first meet someone or I'm in a new place. I guess I'm like an animal, I have to acclimate myself to my environment haha

Justin Rodrigues said...

Great stuff. This would have been a lot of fun to attend. I'm sorry i missed it.

Kendra Melton said...

thanks Justin