Friday, July 23, 2010

Sir Edwin Austin Abbey

I don't usually make inspirational posts, but for this incredible find I will make an exception. While at Ringling College of Art and Design I used to frequent Kimbrough library, one of the most amazing places ever. SO MANY high quality rare and out of print art resources. Oh how I miss it!
Portrait of Edwin Austin Abbey by John Singer Sargent
But anyway, one of my absolute favorite out of print books was "Edwin Austin Abbey: The Record of His Life and Work Vol. I and II" by E. V. Lucas. He is and always will be one of my favorite artist of all time. At one point I found a copy on Amazon but it was way out of my price range. Then I guess someone finally bought it because now it is unavailable. Yesterday while cleaning up my amazon wishlist I decided to find out who holds the copyright to see if it could be reprinted. Instead after a little searching I FOUND IT! Already in PDF form, both Volume I and II and the images are incredibly clear and quite high-res.
* Hint: Wait for the files to completely download then save, it may take a bit

Because this made me SO HAPPY! And just for fun here are some of my favorite images that I photographed of the book while still at Ringling :]
Enjoy, and have a wonderful day!
- Kendra

12 comments:

Dave Lebow said...

Thanks Kendra for your link to this book! I am a big fan of Abbey as well but I didnt know about this book till I read your new post today.
Keep up all the great drawing youve been doing as well they are inspirational!

Louise Smythe said...

You are awesome for sharing this information.

Marcos Mateu said...

Thanks for the post! really inspirational

Kendra Melton said...

Dave: Oh awesome! I'm glad I could enhance your love of Abbey with a little something new. Aw, thanks for the kind words. Hope all has been well at Kline :]

Louise: You are very welcome! I have always been of the mind set that everyone should share and be enriched by one another. That's why twitter is so handy, I can share all the inspirational links I want without bogging down my Blog or FB. :P

Marcos: You are welcome, I'm glad you enjoyed it! Abbey is the best. :]

Griselda Sastrawinata said...

Great post, thank you for sharing. Also great drawings from the drawing club.

ti-igra said...

Kendra, thats great post! Wonderful inspiration! I enyoed it! Thank you! :-) Prints of pictures of Abbey is real in what I needed last time!
Wish you have a good days in painting! ;-)
Your last works are soooo great! You are in progress! That's so good! :-)

chromasketch said...

awesome stuff.. thanks for posting these!

Kendra Melton said...

Griselsa: You are very welcome, and thanks :]

Ti-igra: Glad you enjoyed it! and thanks for the sweet comments.

Brian: Awesome should always be shared :]

abhishek singh said...

Very Inspiring:)
thanks

Kendra Melton said...

Glad to share it Abhishek

sebastian giacobino said...

The link doesn't work anymore, I am a great fan of Abey's work, I need this book, please!! XD

Kendra Melton said...

Thanks Sebastian for bring it to my attention. They must have updated the way the site directs to specific pages. Here are two updated links:

Volume 1
http://www.archive.org/details/edwinaustinabbey01luca

Volume 2
http://www.archive.org/details/edwinaustinabbey02lucauoft